Autumn is the perfect time to plant and move shrubs and trees. Also, the bare root and root-ball hedging season starts in November so it's a good time to start planning any hedging projects. Here are some top jobs to be getting on with in the cooler weather:
Top 10 jobs this month
- Plant shrubs and trees to fill gaps and add structure, planning for year round colour.
- Keep up with watering of newly planted or newly moved plants, using rainwater if possible
- Cut back herbaceous perennials that have died down, leaving those with interesting seed heads and apply a fresh layer of mulch
- Divide congested herbaceous perennials and redistribute to fill any gaps
- Plant spring flowering bulbs
- Autumn is also a good time to lay new turf and re-sow bare patches of lawn.
- Cover leafy vegetable crops with bird-proof netting
- Continue to harvest and tidy the vegetable garden
- Clear dead leaves promptly once they start to fall, as rotting leaves can be a source of disease in the garden. Add some to the compost heap or bag up to create valuable leaf mould in time.
- Start planning any new hedging requirements to make the most of the more cost effective bare root and root-balled plants available from the Big Plant Nursery from November (we are taking orders now!)
Contact Us with all your planting and landscaping requirements from screening and filling ugly gaps to completely transforming your garden with a new design and build. Tel: 0118 934 1757 email: firstname.lastname@example.org