Find your Garden Style
There are many different styles of garden to choose from and your choice is usually influenced by personal style, architecture and your location - what conditions you can offer the plants you use?
Things to consider are:
- What type of soil do you have?
- Are you best suited to a high or low maintenance garden?
- Will you be able to water your garden as required?
You also need to consider what type of landscaping will emphasise your chosen style. Something to consider is having several different “rooms” within your garden. For example, you could have a Japanese corner for tranquillity (and just for the grown ups!) within your functional, family garden <find out more>
The most popular styles we are asked to create are:
- JAPANESE INSPIRED: We all need a bit of zen in our lives
- ENGLISH COTTAGE GARDEN: Traditional planting, roses galore
- MEDITERRANEAN: Think Italian Villa or Greek Island get away
- MODERN: Clean lines and unfussy planting
- TROPICAL: Lush, layered planting and exotic scents
- ECO – FRIENDLY: Gardening to invite nature back into your garden
Elements to consider when you are planning are:
- Walls and boundaries
- Hedges and fences
- Paths and patios
- Water features
- Seating areas
If you are looking for planting ideas, garden advice or you are considering having a garden design, then a Consultancy Visit from one of our experienced horticulturalists or garden designers can really help. Meeting with you ‘on site’ and experiencing the garden first hand enables us to provide much more specific advice.
When it comes to plant selection, the Big Plant Nursery stocks an inspirational range of plants and trees in a variety of standard and specimen sizes to suit most budgets. Whether you are looking for an instant solution, longer term ideas or simply some professional advice, we are open 7 days a week throughout the year.