It may seem chilly out there but the summer's warmth is still in the soil so it's the ideal time to buy and plant new additions to your garden. Leaves are falling rapidly and wind and rain are on the increase. Tender plants will need protecting from frost, wind and freezing rains either in the greenhouse or wrap in situ. Here are a few jobs to be getting on with this month.
Top 10 jobs this month
- Plant shrubs, trees and hedging to fill gaps and take advantage of the cheaper bare root and root-balled season from November through to March
- Drain down irrigation systems for the winter. Prevent frost damage by taking timers and double/triple taps indoors, draining valves and pipework and remember to switch off the mains water supplies to the systems.
- Plan to turn off small self-contained water features and lift the pump from the water to wrap for protection from damaging frost.
- Clear up fallen leaves - especially from lawns, ponds and beds (Book your Autumn/ Winter garden tidy with us if you don't have time)
- Raise containers onto pot feet to prevent waterlogging
- Divide congested herbaceous perennials and redistribute to fill any gaps
- Plant tulip bulbs for a spring display next year
- Prune roses to prevent wind-rock
- Insulate outdoor containers from frost - bubblewrap works well
- Put out bird food to encourage winter birds into the garden
Contact Us with all your planting and landscaping requirements from screening and filling ugly gaps to completely transforming your garden with a new design and build. Tel: 0118 934 1757 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
No time to garden? Ask about our Garden Maintenance services including one off garden tidies to put your garden 'to bed' this winter