There are many reasons why it’s hard to find time to sit down and enjoy the garden during the day (working a nine to five, looking after young children etc) but you might find that come early evening you have some time to yourself. Have you noticed, there is something really magical about the garden at this time? The dappled half light, heat rising up from the warmth of the day heightening the sultry scents of Jasmine.
Think about scent as well as colour when choosing plants around your patio / seating area and the result will be a soothing evening sanctuary to unwind in.
Create seclusion with fragranced climbers such as Trachelospermum jasminoides (Star Jasmine) and Lonicera (Honeysuckle). White flowers will reflect the dusky moonlight really well, creating an effervescent glow. Ensure you have some darker green foliage (we love Magnolia grandiflora for this) included in your planting scheme to really make the white pop!
- Philadelphus ‘Belle Etoile’
- Philadelphus ‘Manteau d’hermine’
- Jasminum officinale (Common Jasmine)
- Trachelospermum jasminoides (Star Jasmine)
- Lonicera periclymenum (Honeysuckle)
To glow in the evening light:
- Hydrangea ‘Runaway Bride’
- Hydrangea ‘Annabelle’
- Hydrangea paniculata ‘Limelight’
- Magnolia grandiflora ‘Gallisoniensis’
- Philadelphus ‘Virginal’
- Paeonia Itoh ‘Canary Brilliants’ (a buttery yellow hue)
- Salvia ‘Caradonna’
- Verbena bonariensis
- Hydrangea macrophylla