Spring is just around the corner and with the frequent sunny days providing a great opportunity to get some fresh air, why not break yourself in gently to the start of the growing season with a few gardening tasks?
Top 10 jobs this month:
- Finish pruning fruit trees before buds start to swell (excluding plums and cherries).
- Order hedging by early March to catch last orders of the more cost effective bare-root and rootball plants.
- Lift and divide overgrown clumps of perennials. Protect new spring shoots from slugs.
- Top dress containers with fresh compost.
- Mow the lawn on dry days (if needed).
- Cut back Cornus (dogwood) and Salix (willow) grown for colourful winter stems.
- Weeds come back into growth – deal with them before they get out of hand.
- Apply a slow-release fertiliser around the base of trees and shrubs.
- Open the greenhouse or conservatory doors and vents on warm days.
Plant away! – Spring is the perfect time to plant trees and shrubs for year round interest.
Visit us or ask about our At home Consultancy Service if you don’t know where to start.