As the colder weather sets in you may not feel like working outside at this time of year but it’s a great time to sort landscaping projects and plant hedging, trees and shrubs to add structure to the garden.
Top 10 jobs this month:
- Drain down irrigation systems and lag outdoor taps. Empty and turn off water features and remove and protect pumps.
- Plant hedging, trees and shrubs and benefit from the more cost effective rootball and bare-root plants available from November through to March
- Move established deciduous trees and shrubs, provided the ground is not frozen or soggy.
- Plant up pots with evergreen shrubs for winter colour and raise them off the ground on pot feet
- Clean decking and patios
- Stock up on Rock Salt (available here at the Big Plant Nursery)
- Wrap tender plants or move to the greenhouse. Protect growing crowns of Tree Fern and gently knock surplus snow from shrubs when freshly fallen and soft
Repair damaged lawn edges or patches with turf cut from other areas of the garden. Avoid walking on lawns when frosted.
- Continue to remove fallen leaves from lawns before they block out light and moisture to the grass.
- Consider installing garden lighting and organising hard landscaping projects such as paving and fencing.
- Start planning now if you’re aiming for a complete Design and Build makeover and avoid the Spring rush.